This privacy statement was last updated May 2022
Your privacy is of utmost importance to us. To help you understand what we do and how we process your data, we have created this statement. If you have any questions or concerns after reading this statement, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]
What we do
Dealroom.co offers an online platform. The purpose of the platform is to map the start-up, scale-up, and corporate landscape around the world and to provide transparency on financing, ownership, and backgrounds on those involved. Dealroom.co does this by collecting and presenting this data about the corporate landscape on its platform in an orderly fashion.
For the purpose to provide transparency of the start-up and scale-up market and to accelerate entrepreneurship & innovation through this data transparency, we gather, analyze and publish information on start-ups, scale-ups, corporates, investors, ownership, and backgrounds on those involved we:
- Gather personal data of individuals related to start-ups, scale-ups, corporates, and investors (from the individuals themselves and/or from third party sources);
- Enrich the data with data from other sources to make profiles as complete as possible;
- Add a “Dealroom.co score” showing our subjective opinion (if applicable) and
- Publish the personal data within the platform.
For the purpose of accelerating new business opportunities and facilitate matches between founders and investors we share information on start-ups, scale-ups and corporates, more specifically we:
- Create email addresses through logical processing of the gathered data // acquisition of email addresses by third parties and share these email addresses with interested users of our platform.
For the avoidance of doubt: ‘automated decision-making’ is not part of our processing activities.
What personal data we collect
We collect the following personal data either directly from you as a registered user, indirectly from you using our website, or from third-party sources. We will more specifically explain our processing of your data below. We distinguish three types of data subjects involved in our processing below.
- email address
- IP address
- job title
- company name
- telephone number
- profile photo
- login count
- last login date/time
When you register through a sign-on application (such as Facebook facilitates), the data we additionally collect during this process are your:
- marital status
- profile picture
- photos and comments
Visitor of our website:
As a user of the website (unregistered) we collect some data from you while visiting our website. This data concerns your:
- IP address
- behaviour on our website, preferences, etc
Subject of our platform:
Finally, we make it our business to collect information on start-ups, scale-ups and corporates, and investors all over the world including information on data subjects such as directors, managers, angel investors, team members, and other persons. The information we collect, show, and share on our platform may hold the following personal data:
- Function (management)
- Company (management)
- Company email address (if not publicly available, created/acquired by us)
- Previous companies (management)
- Portfolio/previous investments (investors)
- News articles content
- Gender (with consent, or if publicly available)
- Ethnicity (with consent)
- LinkedIn URL
- Facebook URL
- Twitter URL
- Whether users (investors) searched for your company
What Legal Ground justifies our processing?
We may only process your data subject to one of the limited legal grounds specified in the GDPR. In the below overview, we specify which legal ground we have for the various types of data and data processing that are part of our services.
Performance of the agreement
When you provide us with personal data to create a user account for our website and service we may process such personal data on the ground of ‘performance of the agreement’. Without the information we cannot control and manage the account and access you wish to receive.
For the legal basis of legitimate interest an assessment is made by Dealroom.co of the interests of Dealroom.co on one hand and your interests, fundamental rights, and freedoms as the data subject on the other. This balancing test assesses if your interests should override ours. To this extent, we had carefully assessed every data point processed and concluded that the impact on your interests, rights, and freedoms is mainly low as the information provided is publicly known. As your interests, therefore, do not override ours, we believe we have a legitimate interest to process your data. This assessment is however subjective. If you feel that your interests should be weighed out otherwise or have not been treated correctly in this assessment, you may at any time address your concerns or objection. We will promptly register your objection and cease using any data which is based on the legitimate interest ground which your objection concerns. This may influence your use of our website. You can find additional information concerning the legitimate interest assessment in our Legitimate Interest Statement.
|Data Category||Source||Legal Ground||If applicable, Legitimate Interest and impact|
|First and last name, email address, job title, company name, telephone number (registered user data), photo||Data Subject||Performance of the agreement – access to the website subject to registration and authentication||n.a.|
|Interests, job title, company name, marital status, profile picture, photos, search history and comments (when registering through a sign-on functionality)||Data Subject||Consent||n.a|
|Various information categories added by the user to its account (such as the tagline)||Data Subject||Consent||n.a|
|Name and job title (Company Team)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||Employers are important for assessment of a company, high importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. Impact low, publicly available information|
|Name and address (angel investors)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||Identities and decisions of investors play a large role in identifying promising companies. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. Impact low, if names of persons are concerned those are publicly known. Home addresses are processed as limited as possible.|
|Financial Information (angel investors)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||Past investments can tell a lot about the viability of a (new) company. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. Impact low, if names of persons are concerned those names and the financial information are publicly known|
|Name, education, work experience (founders)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||The success of a company, especially with a start- or scale-up, largely depends on the skills and knowledge of the founder. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. Impact low, no sensitive data is processed, and the data is already publicly available.|
|Educational information and historical successes (company names)- Inferred data (Founder)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||The history and education of the founder are important to assess the success of a company. The impact is medium as the information is publicly known but results in profiling.|
|Names, job titles, company names (Investor team)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||Which people are employed by an investor is an important factor when assessing the value of their decisions. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. Impact low, no sensitive data is processed, and the data is already publicly available.|
|Name, if part of the used URL (angel investors)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||It is important that both investor and investee can fact verify information on each other. Dealroom provides URLs to social media to this extent. The impact is low, only if angel investors are concerned, and if, only their names.|
|Name and filed of industry (investors)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||Information about the funding rounds is important when making decisions concerning investments. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. Impact low, no sensitive data is processed, and the data is already publicly available|
|ID, name, profile, angellist, Facebook URL, Twitter URL, Linkedin URL, logo picture, address (city only), latitude, longitude, HQ Region, HQ Country HQ City, companies, founded companies (People)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||The goal of Dealroom.co is to provide accurate and up-to-date information while trying to prevent damage caused by mistakes, errors, and fraud. To reach this goal, it is important to get all information that could reasonably be relevant. The impact is low. The data processed is not sensitive data and the data is already publicly available.|
|Financial and educational information portfolio (People)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||In the decision-making process it is important that both investor and investee know with whom they are dealing. Two important factors in that process are education and their portfolio (investors). The impact is low. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. The data processed is not sensitive data and the data is already publicly available.|
|University name (founder – user)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||The skills and knowledge of the founder are of importance when making investing decisions. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. The data processed is not sensitive data and the data is already publicly available.|
|University name (founder)||Publicly available information||Legitimate Interest||The skills and knowledge of the founder are of importance when making investing decisions. High importance from a commercial perspective for Dealroom. The data processed is not analysis data and the data is already publicly available.|
|Gender (founders, team members, angel investor, people)||Data Subject or
Publicly available information
|Legitimate Interest (when publicly available – inferred data)||Dealroom does not show individual information about someone’s gender but uses this data to generate statistics and blogs for the promotion of equal treatment of and equal opportunities for all genders. The impact on the data subject is medium, because of the importance of this topic in today’s society.|
|Ethnicity (founders, angel investors, people)||Data Subject||Consent
(Dealroom does not proactively ask for users to provide their ethnicity, and this is not inferred either)
To what purpose do we use your data?
We use all of the personal data mentioned in the above overview for the sole purpose of gathering, analyzing, and publishing information on start-ups, scale-ups, corporates, and investors and to provide transparency on financing, ownership, and backgrounds on those involved.
More specifically we
- Provide you with services and products that you request from us, after an authentication process,
- Inform you about platform and service updates, content, offers, and advertisements that may be of interest to you,
- Contact you as required to perform our services,
- Send you an invoice for our products or services,
- Provide customer service and follow-up to sales or support requests,
- Improve your customer experience on our platform,
- Develop customized and personalized content, offers, products and services,
- Store your preferences for future interactions with us or our platform,
- Create external research and marketing reports,
- Prevent illegal activities, suspected fraud and potential threats to our platform,
- Analyse the characteristics of our customers and their use of our platform to understand customer and market needs and improve our product as well as business development
- Share data showing the search behaviour of investors (subject to their consent).
- Share email addresses of founders with interested clients (investors) for them to contact the founder with a business proposal.
What are the applicable retention periods?
How long do we store the data we collect directly from you?
The personal data we collect is the information you provide when creating an account or a company on the Dealroom.co platform. We store the information mentioned here until you remove it from your account or until you delete your account.
All (personal) data on invoices remain part of our accounting system. We are required by law to keep our accounting files available for seven years. Afterward, all invoices are deleted.
How long do we store data we collect from your use of our platform?
How long do we store data we collect from other sources?
We use several techniques to collect data from the internet. We store the information mentioned here until new, accurate information is available to replace it. We then remove the old data from our files, unless such data would have historical value and if and for as far you have given your consent for the continued usage of this historical data. In the meantime, as mentioned above under “Your rights”, you may request us to delete any personal information concerning yourself at all times.
Do we share your personal data with others?
We may disclose certain personal data to third parties if needed to provide the services and products on our platform. This sharing of data is subject to your consent. Every consent shall show you upfront what data is concerned. We use third-party services for
- Analytics tracking (with your consent)
- User authentication through Auth0 (with your consent)
- Advertising and promotion (with your consent)
- Content marketing (with your consent)
- Email marketing (with your consent)
- Payment processing: Mollie BV, a Dutch company who services online payments. We share the following data with them: your name and (email) address.
- Search behaviour (with your consent)
If your data is shared with a third party, data processing agreements are in place to safeguard your privacy. These third-party services may access our data solely for the purpose of performing specific tasks on our behalf. We do not give them permission to disclose or use any of our data for any other purpose. We may, from time to time, allow limited access to our data by external consultants and agencies. This access is only permitted for as long as necessary to perform a specific task we asked them to perform. During such tasks non-disclosure conditions (as part of the data processing agreement or otherwise) will be agreed upon prior to receiving access.
We may also disclose your personal data:
- To our affiliates or subsidiaries
- If we are legally entitled or required to do so
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety, or the safety of others
- If we sell a business or part of a business to another company then the transfer of ownership could include the transfer of your personal data directly related to that business to the purchasing company. We shall require the buyer to treat your personal information in accordance with this privacy statement
- To third parties situated in Armenia, Lebanon, and India subject to your prior consent as well as an agreement safeguarding at least the same level of data protection as described in this policy.
What are ‘Ecosystem-Partners’ and what do we share with them?
We service certain third parties with platforms directly interfaced with the Dealroom.co platform. This service contains providing them with a customized version of our platform, subject to certain filters of their choosing. We call these third parties our Ecosystem Partners.
If you use such a customized version of the platform, you will be informed hereof up forehand. We also share certain data with these Ecosystem Partners. As this data also concerns personal data we collected from you, you are requested for your prior consent. You are given the opportunity to agree or decline with this transfer of data. The data concerned is: your name, email address, your user type and certain search results (the profiles you visited on our platform). If you do not consent, this data is not shared. If you consent, you may withdraw your consent at any moment through an email to [email protected].
More specifically, our Ecosystem Partners for the following ecosystems are:
- The consent to the data transfer to the local partners will involve the recording of that data in the respective Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems. Through the CRM systems each local partner will inform the interested party about the processing carried out as data controller, requesting the relevant consent where necessary.