The Victoria startup database – mapping startup ecosystems Down Under
In a first for the southern hemisphere, we’re excited to announce the launch of a new startup database for our Australian friends in the State of Victoria in partnership with LaunchVic. This comprehensive platform cataloguing the vibrant tech ecosystem of Australia’s Education State tracks the activity of 2,119 startups, 146 VC investors and 428 corporates.
- The database reveals VC investment in Victoria grew by 66% between 2018 and 2019
- Tracks the region’s biggest names (Judo Bank, Afterpay, Culture Amp) as well the state’s newest and most promising companies
- Includes information on infrastructure providers, accelerators, universities, support agencies, workspaces and 763 funding transactions
- The data is open access and collaborative – ecosystem partners and startups can submit their updates to increase equity of data access for the startup community
Joining a network of twenty other startup ecosystems powered by Dealroom, the LaunchVic database is the first in Australia and the second outside Europe, after Taiwan.
Macro trends and fine-grain data
Examples of data you can find on the platform:
- The five unicorns HQd in Victoria
- List of eight future unicorns (€200M-€800M valuation) in Victoria
- Record investment in 2019
- Investment by industry heatmap, showing fintech as a particular strength
In addition to uncovering macro trends and headline figures about tech in Victoria, the database offers investment-grade company level data on all startups, scaleups and corporates catalogued.
Dr Kate Cornick, LaunchVic CEO said “We’re thrilled to be working with Dealroom to showcase the Victorian Startup Ecosystem. With a world-class education system and established strengths in HealthTech, FinTech and EdTech, the Melbourne startup ecosystem has tripled in value in just three years. Our startups use out-of-the-box thinking to challenge the status quo and are nurtured in an ecosystem that puts people, creativity and culture at the heart of everything we do.”
Play your part
This open-access platform is already the most extensive prospecting and intelligence tool for driving decision making in the Victorian innovation economy, but we want to make it even better. Contribute to the community’s data capability by telling us about your startup, portfolio or network. Help us fill in the gaps and create global visibility for this exciting tech ecosystem.