Extracting investments for seaweed startups
Seaweed aquaculture is one of the fastest-growing segments of global food production. With concerns about the environment, food security and climate change mounting, seaweed startups could play a major role in the sustainable future of our planet.
Here some sustainable applications and solutions from seaweed:
- Transportation: Seaweed can be used, in total or in part, for biofuel production, with a potential CO2 mitigation capacity, in terms of avoided emissions from fossil fuels.
- Carbon capture: Seaweed tech farms release carbon that maybe buried in sediments or exported to the deep sea, therefore acting as a CO2 sink.
- Agritech: Seaweed aquaculture can help reduce the emissions from agriculture, by improving soil quality substituting synthetic fertilizer and when included in cattle fed, lowering methane emissions from cattle.
- Marine Biodiversity: Seaweed aquaculture contributes to climate change adaptation by damping wave energy and protecting shorelines, and by elevating pH and supplying oxygen to the waters, thereby locally reducing the effects of ocean acidification and de-oxygenation
- Foodtech: Seaweed is commonly used for the production of alternative protein.
- Waste reduction: Seaweed has been investigated as a raw material for a new generation of biologically derived plastic products. Biomaterials made from seaweed are biodegradable and reduce plastic pollution.
At Dealroom.co, we listed 420+ startups that use seaweed in different ways to benefit the environment.
And get more of the latest impact data and insights in your inbox each week with our dedicated newsletter: