The 2022 VC Investor Ranking – preliminary results
The full results are now out – the 2022 VC Investor Ranking (EMEA).
With our fifth annual Global Venture Capital Investor Prominence ranking well underway, we’re able to share a sneak peak at the preliminary results. Based on Dealroom data as well as direct feedback from VCs themselves, we will be launching six distinct rankings of prominent global VCs, a practical tool for founders, investors, and LPs. The lists will rank the most successful unicorn-backing investors in the following categories: Seed EMEA, Series A EMEA, Combined EMEA, Seed Global, Series A Global, and Combined Global.
Before we release the final results in a couple of weeks’ time, here’s a quick look at how the top of the global combined ranking is shaping up. A record-smashing 2021 has meant a lot of movement among the players, with some funds riding the wave.
In the spirit of transparency and collaboration, dive deeper into the numbers as they stand in this Google sheet.
The final ranking will be published in April. Today’s preliminary rankings are meant to give investors time to feed back about any missing data. Claim and edit your profile directly on the platform, or reach out to [email protected] if you have any questions, by 12th April.
Top 10 Global Venture Capital Investors
- Sequoia Capital, 🔼 1
- SV Angel, 🔻 1
- Accel, 🔘
- Andreessen Horowitz, 🔼 1
- 500 Global (formerly 500 startups), 🔼 3
- Tiger Global Management, 🔼 28
- Index Venture, 🔻 1
- New Enterprise Associates, 🔼 46
- General Catalyst Partners, 🔼 17
- Khosla Venture, 🔼 18
An improved methodology
As in previous years, this quantitative ranking of the world’s most prominent venture capital investors is based on three key factors from an investor’s portfolio and activity: the number of unicorns and future unicorns backed by investors and the number of investment rounds in the last 12 months. We’re looking at levels of activity in 2021 and 2022.
This year, however, we also include a dilution factor. Investing in a unicorn at a seed stage is much more impressive than investing at Series A, which is more complex than at Series B when a company’s trajectory is already becoming more visible, and so on.
As transparency is always a big aim for us, here is how the exact scoring is calculated:
- Unicorn score: For this scoring, we are adding the number of unicorn investments at the Seed entry stage with a factor of 100, the number of unicorn investments at an early entry stage (Series A/Early VC) with a factor of 30, and the number of unicorn investments at late entry stage (Series B+) with a factor of 10. The number of unicorn investments at an unknown entry stage is also calculated as a factor of 10. So make sure your profile is updated and accurate.
- Future unicorn score: The future unicorn score is calculated similarly to the unicorn score seed investments receive a factor of 100, Series A/ Early VC a factor of 30 and series B+, and unknown stage a factor of 10.
- Rank score: To obtain the final ranking score, we add your unicorn score with a factor of 100’000, your future unicorn score with a factor of 1000, and finally, the number of investment rounds carried out in the last 12 months.
Not ranked yet? Time to update your profile
The final ranking will be launching soon, which means there’s little time left to check your fund’s profile, to ensure your portfolio is accurately reflected in the final ranking.
To make it easier, we’ve added the fields we’ll be considering right at the top of VC profiles.
Claim and edit your profile directly on the platform, or reach out to [email protected] if you have any questions.